20 October 2010

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Since I cannot hope or promise to do much blogging over the next two weeks, I'll take this rare moment of free time (which actually coincides with internet access) to compose a little blog about the most wonderful time of the year....October!

Everyone who knows me at all knows that, if I could have it my way, I'd wear Halloween costumes every day and always drink cider, eat cinnamon-y foods, and, of course, watch gore- and ghoul-filled films. I can't believe my favorite month is already half over! My obsession with the carefree masquerade attitude that characterizes this time of year began at a young age, as evidenced in this photo, of my "I Dream of Jeanie" inspired Christmas attire:



I feel dreadfully behind on my October mischief-making, but I've managed to celebrate the most glorious month of the year in some little ways:

I've purchased all my fabrics and materials for mine and Bryan's costumes (ssshhhh! Still a secret!)But here's a hint about mine:



I'm making Cauldron Cupcakes with my students. Here's the link to a fun tutorial

I've watched many, many horror movies (but what else is new). One I recently revisited was Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers. Now I remember why I don't make this an annual tradition. It was lame, y'all, even with Donald Pleasance's much-anticipated revival of his Dr. Loomis persona. The supporting cast was pathetic, and since it was released in 1989, I was on peg-legged pants and hair scrunchy overload. It cannot hold a candle to the seriously underrated classic, Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. For that installment, the producers took an almost franchise-destroying strategy - eliminate Michael Myers all together and replace him with a villainous conspiracy plot and tag on a completely unrelated title. However, for hardcore fans like myself, this film is magic, particularly the annoyingly catchy commercial featured in the film. (PS - don't watch this clip if you are epileptic):



Tonight, after America's Next Top Model (Tyra Banks is kind of a Halloween freak show in her own right), I'll pull out a more appropriate Halloween classic, possibly Killer Klownz from Outer Space or maybe my all time favorite, Poltergeist. Speaking of, remember my killer Carol Ann costume from a couple of years ago?



Clearly, my construction skills have improved over the years. Last year's Marie Antoinette was my best effort yet. I'm not sure if I can beat it, honestly, but I'm going to give it the old college try!



I hope your holiday season is magical and spooky! If you don't hear from me before then, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment