27 March 2011

Every human being is the author of his own health or disease

As of today, I am 20 days smoke free, and I’m feeling fabulous about it!!!

Clearly, quitting smoking is still an annoying effort, but I’m keeping my head up, and trying to focus my frustrated energy on developing new, positive, healthy habits. I’m trying to fill in the empty space in my personality which used to contain my “smoker-ness” with other traits and identities.

1. GETTING FIT: The first thing I knew I had to develop was a way to counteract the inevitable quitting-smoking-weight-gain monster. Here’s the problem…I HATE, LOATH, DESPISE, AND ABOMINATE EXERCISE!!! I truly wish I was one of those folks who get into ugly footwear, grunting, soreness, the feeling of utter defeat, and all other athlete’s foot ridden things and emotions found at the gym. Clearly, I am not.

However, I genuinely enjoy being “active.” I love dancing, riding my bicycle, walking in the park, swimming, and many other activities that potentially burn calories, but do not happen exclusively for the purpose of burning calories.

So, I’ve been riding my little bike, Sally, to work every day and usually around the park or neighborhood after that. I’ve been averaging around 10 miles a day on my bicycle, which, granted, isn’t that much, but it’s a start. And, most importantly, it’s fun!


2. CREATIVE WORK IS PLAY: One great tragedy of my smoking cessation is my creative life. I haven’t sewn one thing in almost three weeks! Part of my problem is that I don’t want to make myself anything new until I lose some weight. The other part of my problem is that I can’t seem to get motivated to make anything for anyone else either (though I have a few people waiting for things, yipes!). Maybe I’m still too burned out from Mardi Gras Mayhem. Hopefully I’ll have some creations to share soon. I’m planning to get some work done this week.

3. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT: In addition to my fitness goals, I do not delude myself into thinking I can continue shoving gummy bears and bread into my pie hole (mmmm, pie…) every time the thought of a cigarette crosses my mind. Two weeks ago I started back on my Oprah-inspired “No Whites” diet. I did this a couple of years ago with substantial success. But then a girlfriend came to town for a visit, looking BEYOND FANTASTIC. She spent the span of several glasses of wine explaining to me the concept of the Primal Blueprint (a diet similar to the Paleolithic Plan, but more realistic for us modern folk…..AND IT LETS YOU EAT CHEEEEEEESSSSEEE!!!) Clearly, I’m going to give it a shot!

4. THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER: I don’t know if I’ve ever documented my lamentations over the state of our backyard. I can't complain, even having a backyard space in the city is unbelievably lucky. And it’s a great, large space, but it’s been filled over several times with now-broken concrete, has zero shade, and just isn’t pretty to look at. BUT, I’m determined to have a few cookouts this summer, and, if nothing else, it’s a great place to enjoy a few pounds of freshly boiled crawfish from the local fish market.


Last weekend, some girlfriends and I went to the 2011 Home and Garden Expo at the Convention Center.


And, I picked up a few pretty living things for the backyard! Now, it’s much more pleasant! I still need an umbrella for shade and a few more things, but I’ll share a photo when I get it as pretty as possible!



I’m keeping myself as busy as possible, and trying to do so in healthy ways. It truly helps that my life in New Orleans is so freaking amazing! Oh, and it’s a double post day, so stay tuned!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. It's hard to quit a habit. I find it's much easier if you pick up new ones. Hope they are healthy new ones.

    ReplyDelete