11 April 2010

A new home!....But no pictures...

This weekend, B and I drove down to our future hometown of New Orleans to look for an apartment. We have some wonderful friends who generously offered to let us stay for free!...Very generous indeed, since the first night I sleep-walked and pulled a bookshelf off the wall!...don't ask, I have no idea...

Friday afternoon I had an informal meeting with the coordinator of an exciting IEP program! It wasn't an actual job interview, folks, so don't get your panties bunched up! But it was a truly enjoyable time, and got me itching to work on some cool ideas for my summer classes!....ah, but I must get through the rest of this semester first....

Saturday morning we set off to look at rentals in three different neighborhoods. We'd decided a while back that location was our highest priority, and that we'd just have to compromise on size and storage space in exchange for a great neighborhood. The first place we looked at was in the most TO DIE FOR location....unfortunately, there was NO way we could compromise enough to live in it's teeny-tiny rooms. We sighed and set off for our next appointment...

The second place was amazingly huge, had independent bedrooms, had been completely remodeled, and, aside from having carpet, it was fabulous!....and on a very undesirable street a great distance from the places we want to be.....Sighing again, we began to consider the possibility that we might have to keep drive back and forth from Oxford to the Big Easy many times in this already insane spring before finding a home....

Then we arrived at the third destination. Now, let me tell you, this place has some small drawbacks: it's a non-closed-off shotgun - which means you have to walk through the bedroom to get to the kitchen; it's certainly not tiny, but certainly not ready to handle all of our stuff; and it's a bottom unit in a 4-plex (hope we have cool neighbors!)

However, it is two blocks from the streetcar, 1 mile from campus, two blocks from parade route, and in a very safe neighborhood full of beautiful homes, tree-lined streets, a local theater, shops, restaurants, and history: the Garden District!!!

I took many, many pictures of the house, all the rooms (with plenty of angles, so I could plan furniture arrangements), the block, the neighborhood....and then lost my camera Saturday night.

So that's my weekend, folks! I hope yours was swell! This week I begin the epic process of cleaning, organizing, and downsizing possessions! Let me know if you need anything, you never know - I might have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment