02 February 2010

Film: A month in big and small screen diversion

It's too late for me to be up, playing on the internet. I have too much work to do, and too little time to finish it.....so, of course, it's time for a little more procrastination...

Here's a quick lowdown on what I've been watching lately.

In the theater:

The Lovely Bones: Beautiful....brilliant....yet, somehow, left me unsatisfied. Stanley Tucci is unrecognizably amazing.

New on DVD:

The Surrogates: Timely and fun. Drawing on recent themes of cultural relativity and fears of technology making us less human in some way, this was a relatively lamely executed film with a smart underlying plot.

Pandorum: More sci-fi interpretations of the horrific yet somehow inevitable nature of the loss of humanity feared to come with technological exploration. Pretty entertaining overall, if mildly predictable.

Paranormal Activity: The Amityville Horror in the style of The Blair Witch Project. Yawn.

Deadline: Rented from Redbox on a whim. One of Brittany Murphy's last films, and sadly forgettable.

Jennifer's Body: Surprisingly witty for a one-time watch. I appreciated the satire, but not Megan Fox.

The Carriers: The only thing Americans fear more than terrorists right now is the swine flu. This one pretty tidily addresses the dehumanizing nature of disease and the inescapable demise of careless, uninformed people.

On TV:

The Red Carpet at the Grammys: WTF
The premiere of RuPaul's Drag Race, Season 2: There are prettier queens at Ole Miss.
The premiere of Caprica: Waiting on my Tivo. Clearly, I'm not that excited.
The premiere of the last season of Lost: I hate you. I love you. I hate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment